About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Meeting RJ

As mentioned I'm participating in the Patient Partner Program with DFMC and this weekend was able to meet my partner, RJ.  For someone that was dealt a difficult situation when he was only a kid, he's a tremendous inspiration for us all.  Not knowing what to expect, I arrived at the match party hoping to leave RJ with a good impression of me.  I should step back and say that while I'm new to DFMC and the program, RJ has participated for several years though his past runner recently had surgery and thus is not running Boston this year. He's clearly the expert here! Given their history, I was a little uncertain what to expect being the "newbie" but hoped that I could represent RJ well in the marathon.  What I was not expecting was someone that has had such a strong influence on others that he had been asked to give the "keynote" speech for the day on "What the PPP meant to him."  I literally started the party sitting next to a VIP, for many reasons.  Over the course of 2+ hours, I got to know RJ and his family, watched him give a very inspiring speech about the importance of the PPP and be approached by runners and staff who remembered his positive attitude, appreciation of life and his ability to loudly cheer for every DFMC runner on marathon Monday!  In talking with RJ and his family, it was clear that this was a perfect reminder of why we're running and raising funds for DFMC.  It was also a great reminder that in life, we may be dealt difficult hands at times, but how we respond is up to us; even in difficult situations, we can inspire others for many years to come!  Thanks to RJ and his family for a great "match party" and being an inspiration to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment