About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

20 Mile Weekend!

Wow, what a run today to cap off the week.  First off, in the last week another $250 has been donated to my DFMC efforts, putting the total raised at $5,500 (one check needs to be mailed in yet).  The response from unexpected sources has been fantastic and I'm extremely appreciative of all the contributions!  Thanks to everyone who has followed through on company matches as well as that has added about $700 thus far and to all 84 people who have contributed in some way!

This weekend's long run was a longer version of one we did in early January.  We started in Watertown at the Mt. Auburn Club and ran up to the hills of Newton before proceeding to Wellsley (Garmin: DFMC 19+ mile).  After running the Crossroads runs the last few weeks and the Newton hills at night, running them in the day, and in the opposite direction to start with was a bit disorienting.  Surprisingly, when we hit the 1hr mark and were commenting on how quickly it had gone by, my "only 2 more hours to go" comment wasn't received that well.  Hmm, wonder why?  So over 3 hours of running, what did I learn during the run? Several things I guess.  First, even when my legs started to feel heavy and tired on the hills on the way back, I was still running at a faster pace than when starting, so that bodes well for Marathon Monday! Second, my running partner during the 2nd half, Gina, and I clearly need to work on our communication. Neither of us were trying to run sub-9min/miles the last 6miles, but we did.  Of course, neither of us spoke up that we would be happy to slow down and thus kept chugging along.  Lesson learned.  Third, I'm done experimenting with Raspberry CarbBoom gels.  Times tried = 2, times gel has exploded out the side onto my hands, shirt and shoe = 2.  It was like syrup being poured on my coat...what a mess!  Otherwise, it was a good run on an absolutely gorgeous day, too bad I missed the entire afternoon taking a nap and recovering!

No comments:

Post a Comment