About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

14 Weeks to Go

A lot to activity this week, most of it in the last 48 hours!  Thursday turned out to be a really good day.  Of course, getting out to Arc and running with teammates on Thursday night was fun.  Socializing with folks afterward was a great way to end the day, or so I thought.  Upon arriving home, I had received 3 donations for the fundraiser in April!


A huge shout out to RedBones and JP Licks for providing gift cards and The New England Aquarium for providing admission tickets!  It is so helpful to have the support of local businesses and obviously I'm extremely grateful.  Some folks will be quite lucky on April 2 at the fundraiser as winners of these great prizes!

After my excitement receiving these donations died down, I checked my e-mail and saw that my race entry was confirmed by the BAA: "This is to notify you that your entry into the 118th Boston Marathon on Monday April 21 has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate."!!  Always an exciting day!


Today capped off a good 48 hrs as the team run was a fun one, though tiring.  We hit the marathon course again and hit the Newton hills as I've done so often in the past.  A good run with great teammates and volunteers on a pretty nice day in January!  With 14 weeks to go, I definitely have some work to do but am pleased where I'm at, for both training and fundraising.  A great start to 2014, but definitely more to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment