About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Monday, April 13, 2015

7 Days to Go

The 2015 marathon is just 7 short days away! Though this is year 4 of DFMC, I'm still amazed at the immense support from so many people.  We've hit and surpassed the original goal of $11,000 for DFMC thanks to the generosity of more than 130 people.  It really is incredible to me and between all of your support and that of the volunteers along the training routes, I'm lucky to be able to run with DFMC the last 4 years!  I'm not sure if we'll hit the $13,100 mark, but here's hoping!

This last Saturday we had our last group run, covering 10 miles along the course.  I entered the run unsure how my legs would feel.  My calf/achilles had bothered me after our 22 mile run but had been improving.  More recently my right hip had acted up.  Luckily things worked out well on Saturday and I felt good.
Team preparing to head out for the last run
On top of that, it was a gorgeous day and we were able to wear shortsleeves and shorts!  Though the marathon is still a week away, the weather looks encouraging for now: 62F and partly sunny.  For those that would like to track me during the race, the BAA offers several options including the BAA mobile app and Athlete tracking.  My bib # is 26012 and the DFMC team will be starting at ~11.20AM in wave 4.
BAA mobile app:Mobile App Link
Athlete tracking: Athlete Alert Link

Around mile 20 and the Johnny Kelley Statue


No comments:

Post a Comment