About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Another Group Run & Speed Work

After 16+ miles on Feb 3, I had hoped to translate that into getting back in to weekday runs.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen.  I played it safe on the 5th and did a bike workout to give my ribs & back some more time to heal.  A day later I came down with a cold and rested the rest of the week.  Luckily I was feeling a bit better on Saturday morning and although it was a slow run, I got 16.5 miles done.  I planned to drop down to 14 miles but running with friends and teammates can make you forget about those extra 2+ miles.  I was drained after the run, but that's to be expected after 16 miles and recovering from a cold.

After Saturday's group run, I finally felt 95+% on Tuesday.  I decided 3 weeks on the bike had been enough and ventured out for a speed workout last night.  First success was not tripping during my warm up!  Small victories :)  It felt good to power through the speed work and get back into training.  I'm feeling a bit tired from the hard workout last night but otherwise good.  I'll enjoy the warmer weather tomorrow with another weekday run, though likely take it a bit easier.  Finger crossed that the small victories keep accumulating and this weekend's group run (14-18mi) goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment