About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Group Run & 2018 Singlet

This week's training included a speed workout on Tuesday (4x 1.5mi), an 8 mile tempo run on Thursday and this morning's group run, 17 miles.  Overall, they felt ok, though each run seemed to require a bit more effort that I would like.  The speed work went well and I got the speed segments in at about my 5-10k pace. Thursday's tempo run was good in that I finished with negative splits.  Glad to be able to push the pace on the 2nd 1/2 of the run.  Today was a day where I hoped to get 16-18 miles in after last week's 13 miles.  I knew the pace would be a bit slowed, but that's ok for a long training run.  In the end, the run probably could have been a bit slower, but oh well.  We had a good day to run and after the bomb cyclone on Friday, we still had some wind to deal with, but it wasn't too bad.  We had a great group today and some of the volunteers were able to grab a few pics during our water stops.


This week was also a good week as a few more donations rolled in and we're closing in on $7,400!  I also received my 2018 singlet.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but the main color is a navy blue and the fluorescent yellow really stands out.  I'd like if the colors had been reversed but that's just me assuming that marathon day will be warm and sunny.  Then again, Accuweather is predicting that April 16 will be mostly sunny at ~50F.  That would be a pretty nice day for the marathon, so we'll see how accurate the long long long range forecast is.  With only about 6 weeks to go, it's time to break up the 6 weeks into 2 sets of 3 - a plan for the 1st 3 weeks of  serious training culminating in our 22 mile training run on March 24 and another plan for the 3 weeks of tapering.  Regardless or how training goes the next few weeks, I know that I'm capable of running and completing Boston on April 16, running in honor of and in memory of too many people affected by cancer.  Running for RJ, for Heather, Don, Josh and loved ones of many donors will make my 6th DFMC and Boston as memorable as my first.


No comments:

Post a Comment