About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Long Run #5, SBS #1

Wow, week 5 of the training program was a great one!  Not only did I get my 'official' e-mail from the BAA that my registration had been accepted (and quickly followed by a charge to my credit card!) but so many generous people helped me pass the $3000 mark in my fund raising efforts!!  Thanks to everyone that has donated and helped this year start so well!  Now let's hope some of those company matches start coming in to really boost the totals raised!

As for training itself, overall I'm feeling pretty good.  There's some lingering tendinitis in an ankle and perhaps lingering pain from taking a hockey puck off the inside of my foot, but overall, I'm feeling really good.  This past weekend I missed the long run with DFMC but still ran part of the route, though in the opposite direction.  I started my run out in Somerville and ran up to Alewife, passed into Arlington and continued along the Minuteman bike path up towards Lexington.  It was a nice run and a gorgeous Sunday for an 11mi run.  There were lots of people out which made it a little crowded at times, but a fun run overall.  Unfortunately the run tired me out quite a bit and there wasn't time for a nap before the Pats game, but I persevered and managed to have a good time watching the game with friends and eating plenty of food to replenish.

I wouldn't usually run the day after a long run, but today was just too nice outside not to run!  Even at 6.30pm, temps in Boston were still in the 40s (down from the 50s during the day) and for a 2nd day in a row, I got to wear shorts!!  I'm hoping that this is not a sign of things to come for the marathon as it is a little too close to last year's training season and we all remember how that turned out, well, I remember the first 23 miles, then it's a bit of a blur.  Anyway, running with friends at the SBS running club was a great way to spend the evening and I'm 3.7mi closer to the 100mi club, only 96.4mi to go :)

Only 1 week until track workouts start!

No comments:

Post a Comment