About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Week 4, 1st CR & Group Run of 2013

Last week was my first run out of Crossroads on Thursday and 2nd group run with DFMC.  It was a good way to start 2013.  Normally out of Crossroads I would take the T out to Newton-Wellesley and run in the last 9 miles of the marathon course, finishing at Crossroads Irish Pub for a beer.  This week was a bit different as I was trying to catch up with a friend who could only run at 5pm.  Unfortunately, though I was left to run alone as the temps were dropping to the 10s and a brisk wind made the run slightly chilly.  That said, I persevered and managed to get in a nice 4mi run.
After recovering Friday and Saturday, I joined DFMC teammates at The Mount Auburn Club in Watertown for the group run on Sunday. This was the first chance to meet people since mid-Dec at the 1st group run.  It was also the first chance to hit the Newton hills during this training season.  It was another good run though I was already forgetting my training plan for the year.  I smartly knew not to push it beyond 12mi even though the course was set up for 14-16mi.  Distance limitation - Check!  Unfortunately, as I looked at my garmin watch, I was running a bit faster than I wanted.  Even after slowing down, I finished the run faster than I wanted.  Speed limitation - Fail :(  Can't change everything at once, but 1/2 is a decent start.  Most importantly though I helped a teammate finish the run and reach a new distance record for himself. That's really what these runs are about, helping teammates reach the end and prepare for the race b/c who knows how we'll need each other throughout the rest of the training season!
Week 5 brings a nice warm up and increase in mileage...

No comments:

Post a Comment