About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fundraisers, Long Run and 1st week of Taper

I didn't realize that it had been over 2 weeks since updating the blog!  Apologies to all those waiting for the next edge-of-your-seat exciting post :)

So for everyone's enjoyment, I'm going to attempt to be brief tonight.  I will undoubtedly leave out details, but if you're truly interested in hearing the details, drop me an e-mail or call or message on facebook or whatever.

On March 20th, I had another fundraiser at the Asgard with a raffle for the numerous donated and purchased gifts from so many generous people.  A great group of coworkers and friends turned out to support the cause and DFMC!  We had a great night and between both fundraisers raised ~$1,500 before any company matches!  A very nice success and everyone left the bar happy.  Thanks to everyone who came out, who has donated to DFMC and who has supported me in my training and fundraising over the last 16 weeks.  As of tonight, we have raised ~$8,500 for DFMC and I'm within $1,500 of my goal!

On March 23rd, the DFMC team gathered at BC to start our 22 mile training run!  My 'normal' group ended up going to Hopkinton and running in on the marathon route but I chose the out-and-back approach, getting a little more work on the hills.  Also, for the first time this training season, I used my headphones the entire time.  I wanted to run the training run that I wanted...not getting caught up going to fast just to stay with a group.  Yes I ignored the social aspect, but this was me trying to be smart in this training run.  I managed a nice slow run though my Garmin freaked out on the way back to BC so I don't actually know how good of a run it was.  According to my watch I ran some miles in ~4-5 minutes!!  Guess I was really speedy :) Overall it was a great run and I felt good at the end of it, which is the best outcome one could hope for.

Since March 23, I've been in taper mode.  This has been even more critical as I tweaked a hamstring at last week's track workout.  I've been taking it easy, foam rolling every day/night and even skipped the 'long run' this weekend in favor of rest.  It was hard but apparently I'm getting a bit wiser in my old age.  Today I skipped the track workout and instead had a nice run of ~6 miles in the 20-30mph winds around Boston.  Let's hope that we don't have such winds on marathon day, at least not a head wind!  Speaking of weather, if you're interested, Accuweather.com offers a 25 day forecast and right now, April 15 is looking pretty good.  Fingers crossed it stays this way!

I'm lacking any pictures from the fundraiser, including pictures of the amazing cake that Selina and Kiss My Kakes put together.  I'll post those this weekend along with some more updates hopefully.  Now that we're in taper mode I hope to have a little free time to update the blog before April 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment