About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Two Weeks Out...

This past week had been a good one, all things considered after the events of April 15-19.  As I posted about last time, the closing of Crossroads Pub on April 20 allowed DFMCers and other runners to gather on the 17th, celebrate, reminisce about training, tell stories of the marathon and mourn and support each other re the events that took place on Marathon Monday.  This past Monday, one week after the attacks, the Somerville Road Runners held a small candle light vigil in Somerville.  It was another opportunity for runners to support each other and the victims of the bombings.



The week also allowed a return to running and other work outs.  I was able to attend the November Project twice this week.  For the first time hitting the Monday workout of sit-ups and push-ups and returning to the Wed AM workout at the Harvard Stadium...22 sections in 25 minutes.  Another run is planned for this weekend and with it, another day returning to normal.

While I can say a return to normal, many people are still dealing with the attacks, both physically and mentally.  We have learned that 2 past DFMC runners were injured in the attacks and are still hospitalized.  Two other family members were also injured and their story has been documented in both local and national news.  With the OneFundBoston raising >$20 million thus far, >$650,000 has been raised to help Celeste and Sydney.  To learn more about their story, visit the Site for Celeste and Sydney

Lastly, thank you again to everyone who has reached our and offered support.  Two stories I forgot to relate demonstrating how all Bostonians have rallied around those effected area two separate thank yous.  While having a restaurant patron thank me as I walked by wearing my BAA jacket was nice, having an employee at BJs say "thank you" and shake my hand for "all I did" was very unexpected and caught me off guard.  Amy told me afterward that he had asked if we were there, Amy said that I had just finished and had let other runners use my phone to contact family.  I did nothing compared to the first responders but seeing Bostonians support each other has helped the healing process as well.  Again, thank you for all your support the last two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment