About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Monday, April 2, 2018

2 Weeks To Go!

With April here, the Boston Marathon is just around the corner, 2 short weeks away.  I'm not quite at the point of getting excited but soon.  What is exciting from this past week is nearing $13,100 raised in 2018.  Thanks to some more generous donors and company matches last week, we've surpassed $12,400 and hopefully we reach $13,100 ($500 per mile) before this coming weekend.  I am continually amazed and greatly appreciative of the generous support by so many, including over 100 donors this year.  Thanks to all current and past donors, we have raised over $78,900 during my 6 DFMCs and have certainly benefited Innovative Cancer Research at Dana-Farber!  THANK YOU!

With 2 weeks to go, I'm in taper mode.  After 22miles 2 Saturdays ago, this past weekend I ran 13.1miles.  A bit less than I planned but I was feeling a bit tired from a busy week and solid week of training.  I'll aim for a speed workout and tempo run this week; that said, if I get 2 good runs in and don't overdo it, I'll be satisfied.  Time to rest up, make sure I get enough sleep, eat and drink right, and get ready for whatever Mother Nature gives us on April 16.  Whatever we are dealt, I'm looking forward to making the trip from Hopkinton to Boston for a 6th time.

No comments:

Post a Comment