About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Hope...

As this last week has progressed, I've hoped for a better weather report.  That clearly is not going to happen.  With more than 1" of rain predicted and 20+ mph winds from the NNE, it won't be ideal weather for the Boston Marathon.  The rain and lower temps (40s) will keep us from overheating, which is good, but the wind will be a headwind.  Oh well, we can't control the weather, but we can determine how we approach the day.

Preparing for Monday, I hope that I run well and our 2018 DFMC efforts would make Heather & her family proud.  Though Heather can't be at the race, I know she'll be there in spirit, cheering us on and supporting all DFMC runners. 

I hope that the other individuals that I run in honor of and in memory of, including RJ, Don, family, and friends, are also proud of my efforts.

As a recent donor wrote to me, every family is touched by cancer in some way.  I hope that our efforts these 6 years make a small impact in some way.  Whether our impact is via the $81,000+ raised over the years and the innovative cancer research we've supported, or just the knowledge that we've made this collective effort to make a difference, I hope we've made some impact.



No comments:

Post a Comment