About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

3.5 days to go!

I commented on a facebook post from my sister earlier regarding the 1/2 marathon that we ran together Super Bowl Sunday and was a bit shocked to recall that that race was 2 months ago!  How time flies and what a difference between now and then.  Before the 1/2 in LA, I was running 35-40mi per week in just 3 runs and then shortly after, I developed quad/hamstring issues that forced me to cross train more.  Mentally this took a toll and has made me question how prepared I'll be on Monday.  I'm confident I'll finish the race, but less certain about secondary goals.  In Feb, the long run was 16mi and in 3 days, if my pacing is good and body feels up to it, after 16mi I'll actually be ramping up the pace to push for a 4hr marathon.  In early Feb I had just met RJ, now we'll be sharing Patriot's Day together and as I approach mile 25, I'll be listening for RJ and others along the course at the Patient Partner cheering section.  The weather has obviously changed a lot since Feb too, though less so than in previous years.

Thinking about this tonight helps me remember that come Monday, there will be so many things beyond my control and regardless of what my everlasting internet results are, the journey to the finish has been an unforgettable one.

As the weekend approaches, and additional sources of motivation are sought, I plan to turn to a classic.  We all know the song, but I've never seen the movie, so Chariots of Fire, we may cross paths...


No comments:

Post a Comment