About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Last "long" run

With 2 weeks to go until the marathon, it is bittersweet to have the experience coming to an end.  Obviously, while fund raising for DFMC and the Barr Program is a fantastic cause and well worth the effort, fundraising in general is not something that I'm entirely comfortable doing.  That said, the support of more than 110 people have helped me raise $7632 to date!  Between everyone's generosity, family members passing along the fundraising page and company matches, this has been more successful than I imagined.  I also learned from DFMC that more than 50% of the funds raised tend to be donated after the marathon, so clearly there's still time to hit my goal and raise $10,000 for Dana-Farber and the Barr Program.

After being away earlier this week for work, this morning's run was a bit more difficult that I expected.  I guess the jet lag and lack of sleep caught up with me more than I had originally thought.  That said, I met 3 DFMC teammates in Coolidge Corner in Brookline and we ran against the course for 7mi before running back in along the course (route).  This is the same 14 mile route that I ran a few weeks ago with other DFMCers.  Today was a gorgeous day for a run and I'm beginning to wonder what Patriot Day will bring.  Right now, Accuweather.com is suggesting that April 12-14 will be rainy, the 15th sunny (41F/60F) and there's no prediction for Monday yet!!  I guess that's for the best as it will change every day until the Sat before.  Just keeping fingers crossed.

It would also be helpful if the BAA posted athlete tracking information, though it is not up yet.  I was able to get my bib number though and am pretty excited about #23117.  It may just be my new favorite number, though perhaps I'll wait to see how I finish before making such a commitment. As the race approaches and the BAA changes their website, I'll update the blog with athlete tracking options.

Onto another week of tapering, reducing miles and recovering from the last several months of training to be fully prepared for the marathon in 2 weeks!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment