About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cautiously Optimistic After a Great Weekend

While it is a Tuesday night, I'm not at the track workout tonight, which is a little disappointing. That said, I'm being cautious as my thigh strain is improving each day by cross training and stretching.  I'm hoping to take advantage of the soon-to-be spring like weather here in Boston...50s/60s Wed and Thurs!  If that comes true, I'm hoping to rejoin the team activities on Thurs PM for the Crossroads run.  A nice slow pace would be planned for 9mi, but to prepare for the weekend, I don't want to run too quickly and strain anything else.  Fingers crossed that Thurs night is a group run rather than the gym, but being cautious with 40 days til the marathon is just as important.

This positive turn follows a nice weekend run (previously blogged about) and then a very nice Sunday dinner with RJ and his family.  Additionally, I met Paul, RJ's DFMC runner from years past that unfortunately couldn't run this year.  I had previously said that I was a bit anxious whether I would represent RJ as well as his previous partner, and now that I've met Paul, I know that I have no reason to be anxious.  I've realized that how I do doesn't matter...being out there representing the struggles that these kids and others go through during treatment and helping the patients stay positive while overcoming difficult goals is what it is about.  Obviously I have a personal time goal, but that's secondary to finishing and running a good race for RJ.  We have more Patient Partner activities in the coming weeks and I look forward to those for the reasons just stated.  A big Thank You to RJ, his family and Paul for a relaxing and enjoyable Sunday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment