About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wayland is Nice When There's Not a Blizzard!

Another weekend, another long run, another day of taking it easy to let the quad strain improve.  We were back at the Longfellow Club (DFMC Group Run - Wayland) this week and unlike our first run out of the club, we could actually see the road and we weren't dodging snow plows or cars!  It's the small things that can make a difference.  We had a large group, probably 50-60 runners, and it was nice to get back with the team after almost 2 weeks of not seeing a lot of teammates.  One of the coaches stressed to me that I just had to get the miles in, don't worry about pace because "it's all about endurance."  This was my plan going in, but there was still a piece of me that wanted to push it and run a nice pace.  Luckily, that little piece lost out and I followed my plan/coach's advice.
Overall, it was a good run and a pretty nice day to be outside running.  I ended up running mostly by myself which was a first for DFMC runs, but it was probably best since I simply ran my pace and wasn't pushed by others.  I was surprised that at a slower pace I felt more tired than in previous runs, but with the cross training I haven't felt like I'm getting the same quality of workout as running.  Perhaps I've lost some cardio/endurance over the last 2 weeks, perhaps I was just tired.  Either way I got the run in and felt good during the run.  I was happy that after the first few minutes my quad wasn't bothering me and as of today I'm still feeling good.  Some soreness, but less that in previous days and weeks!  Guess I'll have to cross train a bit more this week and if I do run, just take it slower than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment