About Me

My Goal: Run the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2019 with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. Raise $17,000 (or more!) where 100% of funds raised benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research. I run in honor of my friend Chris Davie who is battling brain cancer. I also run in honor for my friend RJ and his continued cancer-free life, in memory of Heather Thomson, and for other family and friends who are or have battled cancer. Together we can help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute reach the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer

Barr Program Impact Statements

Barr Program Impact Statements

Immunotherapies: New Ways to Activate the Immune System—An important area of cancer research asks why the human body's defense systems do not always attack and destroy tumors as they form. Funded by the Claudia Adams Barr Program, Glenn Dranoff, MD, discovered complex regulatory pathways in the human immune system that cancers exploit in order to escape destruction. Reversal of these effects can lead to the development of vaccines against cancer, like Provenge for prostate cancer. This research has also enabled the development of immune-activating drugs such as ipilimumab, which showed striking effects in melanoma in a trial led by Dana-Farber scientists and is now approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

22 miles Boston to Natick and back...ouch, yawn

Today was the last DFMC Group Run and let's just say that I'm sore and exhausted, even after a 2 hour nap!  Both are to be expected so I guess I'm right where I should be.  We started at Boston College along the marathon course and did an out and back, 11miles each way!  During the run I had a lot more thoughts on what to write about, but they're escaping me now.
DFMC had a large contingent to start the day and it was only a small fraction of the runner's along the course.  A number of charity teams (a few were Children's Hosp Boston, Liver Fdn, Leuk/Lympho, Teddy's Team and yes Teddy Bruschi was running along) started in Hopkinton at the marathon start and ran into BC.  There were easily 100s of runners along the road with police details controlling traffic for us charity runners.  People who live along the course were out supporting us and a number of kids were manning their own water stops.  Quite amazing as this was just a training run!
I took the same approach that I did 2 weeks ago, just get the miles in and ran around a 10min pace.  Given a long week at work, I was definitely not 100% ready to go.  That's encouraging though as I met my goal and intend to prepare for the marathon a bit better than I was able to for today!  After starting the run with a small group people and a bit fast, I let up and just controlled my pace, eventually running alone.  The 11mi out were good and I got to hit a stretch of course (Wellesley to Natick) that I hadn't run previously.  We passed Wellesley College, but there were no girls out supporting us today.  Also, I thought it was supposed to be downhill from Hopkinton to Wellesley, though clearly it is "net" downhill since there are some nice rolling hills around Natick (BAA Elevation Profile).
After the turn around point (which according to DFMC was 11mi but my watch said 10.8mi, guess which was deemed more accurate?!) I continued to feel good.  Through Wellesley I walked with a teammate for a bit who was calling it a day b/c of pain.  Obviously there's not much that I could do, but definitely felt bad for him and hope the "taper" time period helps us all!  I also saw the truth of friends' statements that the hills don't start in Newton but at the 128 overpass after Wellesley.  After 16mi, that first hill was "fun" and from there to BC (~5mi), my legs definitely felt sore and tired.  Mentally though it was good as I was able to maintain my pace, run all the hills and finish strong with a bit left in the tank.  Granted, come Marathon Monday I still have 4.2 miles to run after reaching BC, including the 90 overpass (mile 25), the Mass Ave underpass and "Mount Hereford" (mile 26) as a friend describes it.  Two videos describing/showing the course (Video 1, more commentaryVideo 2, still pictures compiled into a video).  All that said, there will be 1000s of fans, the crowd from the Sox game and of course DFMC patient partners at mile 25!  Only 3 weeks away and now time to replace some of those 2,900+ calories I supposedly spent today!

No comments:

Post a Comment